Griffin Choral Arts Children’s Chorus
The Griffin Choral Arts Children’s Chorus was founded in August 2016 by Steve Mulder, Tracy Threlkeld and Julia Chang. The chorus’ hallmarks are healthy vocal production, fine literature for children’s voices, and an emphasis on music theory and music reading. Rehearsals are energized and active with lots of movement and physical engagement. Beginning with unison melodies and rounds, the singers become confident as they became proficient.
Dr. Stephen J. Mulder, Griffin Choral Arts Artistic Director
Mrs. Tracy Threlkeld, Children’s Chorus Director
To train children in the choral arts, provide them with exposure to excellent repertoire, present concert performances that showcase their achievement and effort, leading them to a lifetime enjoyment of choral singing.
If you wish to schedule an appointment for an audition, please call 770-731-0426 and ask for Tracy. Auditions consist of rhythm exercises, imitating melodic phrases and simple vocal exercise to determine vocal range. Auditionees will be asked to sing a song of their choice unaccompanied.
Sign Up For Regular Updates
Complete our online form so that we can send you updates and announcements about the GRIFFIN CHORAL ARTS CHILDREN’S CHORUS. (Completing the form does not register you for participation.)
- Foundations of good singing- posture, breathing and support, head tone placement, forward resonance
- Music theory and reading- solfege, rhythms, notation, form
- Expression- dynamics, phrasing, facial and body emotiveness
- Choral rehearsal behavior- attentiveness, proper questioning, pencil markings, warm-up routine, riser etiquette, responding to conducting gestures
- Choral music well-written specifically for children’s voices
- Folk songs, classical style periods, world cultures
- Commissioning of new works for children’s voices
- Independent concerts and appearances in adult GCA season programs
- Special events in the community that will increase awareness for children’s choirs
- Touring and performances in conference settings
- Encourage participation in middle school and high school choral programs, church choirs, honor choirs and all-state choirs
- Prepare for future participation in the adult GCA choir, or other community, collegiate, or professional choirs