Griffin Choral Arts Children’s Chorus
Formed in the summer of 2016, the Griffin Choral Arts Children’s Chorus began rehearsals on August 22. Thirty young singers meet weekly on Monday afternoons from 4:00 to 5:30 as they learn about singing and the child voice, experience fine literature for children’s voices, and gain experience with music theory and reading music. Rehearsals are energized and active with lots of movement and physical engagement. Beginning with unison melodies and rounds, the singers are becoming confident as they become proficient.
The GCA Children’s Chorus will appear in concert on Sunday, December 4, at 3:00 p.m. at Griffin First United Methodist Church, as they perform alone and with the GCA adult choir for CHEERS!, the annual Christmas concert.
To train children in the choral arts, provide them with exposure to excellent repertoire, present concert performances that demonstrate their accomplishments and motivation, leading them to a lifetime enjoyment of choral singing.
Auditions are ongoing. We will accept new singers in January 2017. See our Auditions page for details.
Sign Up For Regular Updates
Complete our online form so that we can include you in our plans and send you additional information about the GRIFFIN CHORAL ARTS CHILDREN’S CHORUS. (Completing the form does not register you for participation.)
- Foundations of good singing- posture, breathing and support, head tone placement, forward resonance
- Music theory and reading- solfege, rhythms, notation, form
- Expression- dynamics, phrasing, facial and body emotiveness
- Choral rehearsal behavior- attentiveness, proper questioning, pencil markings, warm-up routine, riser etiquette, responding to conducting gestures
- Choral music well-written specifically for children’s voices
- Folk songs, classical style periods, world cultures
- Commissioning of new works for children’s voices
- Independent concerts and appearances in adult GCA season programs
- Special events in the community that will increase awareness for children’s choirs
- Touring and performances in conference settings
- Encourage participation in middle school and high school choral programs, church choirs, honor choirs and all-state choirs
- Prepare for future participation in the adult GCA choir, or other community, collegiate, or professional choirs
Dr. Stephen J. Mulder, Griffin Choral Arts Artistic Director
Mrs. Tracy Threlkeld, Children’s Choir Director
Mrs. Julia Chang, Children’s Choir Director